Monday 27 May 2019

Cousin Prof Henny Yeoh Kian Hian Visits Ignatius’s Chew Museum

Dr Yeoh Chee Kheng with her father Prof Henny Yeoh Kian Hian
Ignatius’s Chew museum received a pair of prominent visitors recently namely Prof Henny Yeoh Kian Hian and his daughter Dr Yeoh Chee Kheng.


Prof Henny Yeoh, 82 who lives in Singapore comes home regularly. However his daughter Chee Kheng who was brought up in Singapore and now lives in London had not been back to Ipoh for 40 years.

Back to our roots... 
Aunt Yeoh Saw Kin 

She described her visit to the museum as ‘cool and exciting but so very confusing’ though she indicated that she might return again next year.  

Prof Henny Yeoh is a retired ENT surgeon. He described coming back to Ipoh as fantastic but always makes him emotional.

 “Somehow what I feel for Singapore cannot match how I feel for Ipoh. I grew up here and studied at St Michael’s Institution so Ipoh is close to my heart.

When my brother Kian Hin was still alive I would come home 2 maybe 3 times a year. I have lived in Singapore since 1959. Now when I return to Singapore I feel like it is a temporary home as my heart is here”

He praised Ignatius Chew for maintaining this museum and even updating the information of him.


That morning saw a steady stream of relatives who had dropped by at the museum to greet Prof Yeoh and his daughter. The previous day the pair met with another batch of relatives.  

Between meeting the various relatives and Ignatius Chew explaining the connection between the Yeohs, Chews, Lim and Oh’s it was a very enlightening morning.



                               



Prof Yeoh viewing photos of popular niece and actress Michelle Yeoh
With relatives dropping by at different times it took three group photos just so all who showed up would be documented that momentous morning.

JAG

No comments:

Post a Comment